Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Bodybuilding Mom of 2 dies of protein overdose

Meegan Hefford, a 25-year-old from Mandurah, Australia, was discovered to have a urea cycle disorder, which blocks the body from correctly breaking down protein. Hefford was preparing for a bodybuilding competition and consumed large quantities of protein supplements. She was found unconscious in her apartment and rushed to hospital, where it took doctors two days to diagnose her.
A buildup of ammonia in her blood and fluid in her brain was fatal, and she was declared brain dead the next day. Hefford was studying paramedicine while working part-time at a hospital. She leaves behind her two children, a 7-year-old daughter and a 5-year-old son.

Her family is calling for tighter restrictions on protein supplements.