Friday, June 12, 2015

Naverone Christian Landon Woods

“I just question the use of force so quickly.”

A concerned Surrey citizen is organizing a vigil at the Surrey Central sky train station for a man who was shot to death by transit police in the Safeway store on King George Highway.

Organizer Teresa Diewert says the family of 23 year old Naverone Woods will travel from Hazleton and Grand Chief Stewart Phillip will also speak.
Woods was shot by police shortly after 8 a.m. on Dec. 28, in the Safeway store at 10355 King George Highway. He was seen by witnesses banging his head against a wall at a Skytrain station and then a short while later, a convenience store clerk described him as agitated and demanding a knife.
Woods was next seen inside a Safeway shirtless and stabbing himself with a knife he grabbed at the grocery store. That's when police arrived and directed him to drop the knife, according to witnesses. When he didn't and moved towards the police officers, he was shot, police say.
"Nav was clearly upset and distraught," Bear said. "He was not himself. Despite what the media say, Naverone was not suffering from a mental illness. The family strongly denies these rumours."

She stated that Woods was admitted and discharged twice from Surrey Memorial Hospital on the day before his death. "We need to find out why he was admitted and more importantly, why was he discharged," Bear added.
She said that there are two scenarios that played out inside the Safeway store:
• Woods was standing stationary and stabbing himself, and not complying with the Transit Police officer's demands to drop the knife, so she shot him dead. "If this is the case, she was not authorized under the Criminal Code of Canada to use deadly force and needs to be held criminally responsible for her actions," she emphasized. "No one is above the law, not even the Transit Police."

• Woods was stabbing himself and then advanced toward the police officer with his knife and she shot him dead. "This is what the police allege," Bear said. "If this is the case, it only demonstrates that Nav was not himself. First, he would not have been stabbing himself. Second, he would not have advanced on a police officer."

She then revealed that at 11:30 p.m. the night before he was killed, Woods was picked up at a Surrey SkyTrain station unconscious or possibly having a seizure.
It was reported that Translink Police heard a call on RCMP radio and responded.